Jack Dawson Quotes
- “ [yelling, standing on the bow with his arms stretched outwards] I’m the king of the world!”— Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “[to Rose as he kisses her hand at the bottom of the grand stairway] I saw that in a nickelodeon once and I always wanted to do it.”— Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Ruth: Tell us of the accommodations in steerage, Mr. Dawson. I hear they are quite good on this ship.
Jack: [respectfully, playfully, jokingly] The best I’ve seen, ma’am. Hardly any rats.” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Jack: [with an English accent, siting in the front sit of a car, after honking the horn] Where to, Miss?
Rose: [lowers the divider, whispers into his left ear] To the stars.” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “[Rose shows Jack the diamond]
Rose: Jack, I want you to draw me like one of your French girls. Wearing this…
Jack: All right.
Rose: Wearing only this.” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Tommy Ryan: That’s typical. First class dogs come down here to take a shit.
Jack: That’s so we know where we rank in the scheme of things.
Tommy Ryan: Like we could forget.”— Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “That’s one of the good things about Paris: lots of girls willing to take their clothes off.”— Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “ [jokingly, whispering to rose as she lies on top of floating door] I don’t know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all of this.” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Rose: [about to dance an Irish Jig with many people watching] I don’t know the steps!
Jack: Neither do I! Just go with it!” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “[after wining the tickets from a poker game, running through the hallways of the ship with Fabrizio] We are the luckiest sons of bitches in the world, you know that?” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Rose: [impressed, after looking at his sketches in his portfolio] You have a gift Jack, you do. You see people.
Jack: I see you.
Jack: You wouldn’t have jumped.” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Rose: I know what you must be thinking. ‘Poor little rich girl, what does she know about misery?’
Jack: No, no, that’s not what I was thinking. What I was thinking was, what could’ve happened to this girl to make her think she had no way out?” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “God! Look at that thing! You would’ve gone straight to the bottom.” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “[as Jack sketches her in the nude]
Rose: I believe you are blushing, Mr. Big Artiste. I can’t imagine Monsieur Monet blushing.
Jack: [amused by her comment, focusing more on the sketching, denying his blushing, reminding her] He does landscapes.” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Jack: [leaning on the railing on the starboard side, waving to people as the Titanic sets off] Goodbye!
Fabrizio: You know somebody?
Jack: Of course not! That’s not the point! Goodbye, I’ll miss you!
Fabrizio: Goodbye! I’m gonna never forget you!” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “[slowly walking up a staircase to the stern as the ship is about to sink]
Male Passenger: Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
Jack: You want to walk a little faster through that valley there?” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me… it brought me to you … You must do me this honor, Rose. Promise me you’ll survive. That you won’t give up, no matter what happens, no matter how hopeless. Promise me now, Rose, and never let go of that promise.”— Leonardo Dicaprio, Titanic
- “Rose: Teach me to ride like a man.
Jack: [speaking with a Southern American accent] And chew tobacco like a man.
Rose: [trying to imitate the Southern American accent] And spit like a man!
Jack: What, they didn’t teach you that in finishing school?”— Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “[Rose is about to cut Jack free with an axe]
Wait, wait, wait! Take a couple practice swings over there. [Rose chops a hole in a cupboard door] Good! Now try and hit the same mark again, Rose. You can do it! [Rose chops again, missing the first hole by about three feet] OK, that’s enough practice.” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “[Rose jumps from the saving boat and goes to where Jack is]
Jack: Rose! You’re so stupid. Why did you do that, huh? You’re so stupid, Rose. Why did you do that? Why?
Rose: You jump, I jump, right?
Rose: Oh God! I couldn’t go. I couldn’t go, Jack.
Jack: It’s all right. We’ll think of something.
Rose: At least I’m with you.” Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Rose: Staring up at the sky, Look. It’s so beautiful. SO vast and endless. They’re so small. My crowd, they think they’re giants. They’re not even dust in God’s eyes.
Jack: Well, there’s been a mistake. You’re not one of them. You got mailed to the wrong address.
Rose: Laughs, I did, didn’t I? LOOK, a shooting star!
Jack: It was a long one. You know, my Pop’s used to tell me, every time he saw one, it was a soul going to heaven.
Rose: I like that. Are we supposed to wish on it?
Jack: Why? What would you wish for?
Rose: Something I can’t have.” Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “[Jack is dancing with Cora]
Jack: I’m gonna dance with her now, all right? [Looking at Rose] Come on.
Jack: Come on, come with me.
Rose: Jack! Jack, wait. I can’t do this.
Jack: We’re gonna have to get a little bit closer. Like this. [Jack looks at Cora] You’re still my best girl, Cora.” Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Rose: [as she looks through the sketches in his portfolio] You liked this woman. You used her several times.
Jack: Well, she has beautiful hands, see?
Rose: I think you must have had a love affair with her.
Jack: No no no, just with her hands. [turns page] She was a one-legged prostitute. See? Ah, she had a good sense of humor, though.”Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Jack: [deleted scenes] I never cared too much for all that Dadaism and Cubism. Just had no heart.
Rose: I like some of it.
Jack: Really? For me Paris was more about living on the streets and trying to put it on paper.
Rose: You know, my dream has always been to run away and become an artist, Living in a garrett poor but free!
Jack: You wouldn’t last two days. There’s no hot water and hardly any caviar.” Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Rose: [thinking both of them will die soon] I love you, Jack.
Jack: Don’t you do that, don’t say your goodbyes. Not yet, do you understand me?
Rose: I’m so cold.
Jack: Listen, Rose. You’re gonna get out of here, you’re gonna go on and you’re gonna make lots of babies, and you’re gonna watch them grow. You’re gonna die an old… an old lady warm in her bed, not here, not this night. Not like this, do you understand me?
Rose: I can’t feel my body.
Jack: Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me… it brought me to you. And I’m thankful for that, Rose. I’m thankful. You must do me this honor. Promise me you’ll survive. That you won’t give up, no matter what happens, no matter how hopeless. Promise me now, Rose, and never let go of that promise.
Rose: I promise.
Jack: Never let go.
Rose: I’ll never let go, Jack. I’ll never let go. I promise.” Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “[to Ruth and other guests dining at their table] Well, yes, ma’am, I do… I mean, I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what’s gonna happen or who I’m gonna meet, where I’m gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life’s a gift and I don’t intend on wasting it. You don’t know what hand you’re gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you… to make each day count.” Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Jack: [referring to Cal] Do you love him?
Rose: Pardon me?
Jack: Do you love him?
Rose: Well, you’re being very rude. You shouldn’t be asking me this.
Jack: [amused, referring to Cal] Well, it’s a simple question. Do you love the guy or not?
Rose: This is not a suitable conversation.
Jack: Why can’t you just answer the question?
Rose: This is absurd. I don’t know you and you don’t know me and we are not having this conversation at all. You are rude and uncouth, and presumptuous, and I am leaving now. [starts shaking Jack’s hand] Jack… Mister Dawson, it’s been a pleasure. I’ve sought you out to thank you, and now I have thanked you.
Jack: And even insulted me.
Rose: Well, you deserved it.
Jack: [Rose is still shaking his hand] I thought you were leaving.
Rose: [turns to leave] I am. You are so annoying.
Jack: Ha, ha.
Rose: [turns back to Jack] Wait, I don’t have to leave, this is my part of the ship. You leave.
Jack: Oh ho, ho, well well well, now who’s being rude?” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Rose: [seeing her standing alone on the highest railing of bow] Hello, Jack. I changed my mind.
Jack: [stands onto the same railing she’s on, hugs her waist ] Shhh. Gimme your hand. Now close your eyes, go on. Now step up. Now hold on to the railing. Keep your eyes closed, don’t peek. Step up on the railing. Hold on, hold on. Keep your eyes closed. Do you trust me?
Rose: I trust you.
Jack: [Jack opens Rose’s arms] All right. Open your eyes.
Rose: [gasps in excitement] I’m flying, Jack! [gasps in amazement] I’m flying, Jack!
Jack: [Jack starts singing softly into her ear] Come, Josephine, in my flying machine, going up, she goes up, up she goes.
[they kiss]”Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Jack: [talking privately in the Titanic’s gym room] Rose, you’re no picnic, all right? You’re a spoiled little brat, even, but under that, you’re the most amazingly, astounding, wonderful girl, woman that I’ve ever known…
Rose: Jack, I…
Jack: No, let me try and get this out. You’re ama—I’m not an idiot, I know how the world works. I’ve got ten bucks in my pocket, I have no-nothing to offer you and I know that. I understand. But I’m too involved now. You jump, I jump remember? I can’t turn away without knowing you’ll be all right… That’s all that I want.
Rose: Well, I’m fine… I’ll be fine… really.
Jack: Really? I don’t think so. They’ve got you trapped, Rose. And you’re gonna die if you don’t break free. Maybe not right away because you’re strong but… sooner or later that fire that I love about you, Rose… that fire’s gonna burn out…
Rose: It’s not up to you to save me, Jack.
Jack: You’re right… only you can do that.” Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “[Jack and Fabrizio are playing poker in a bar in front of the port]
Jack: All right, the moment of truth. Somebody’s life is about to change. Fabrizio?
Fabrizio: [in Italian] I have nothing.
Jack: Two pairs. I’m sorry, Fabrizio.
Fabrizio: You should be sorry, you bet all our money!
Jack: I’m sorry, you’re not gonna see your mom again for a long time, ’cause we’re going to America, full house boys! Woo-hoo!” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Jack: Don’t do it.
Rose: Stay back! Don’t come any closer!
Jack: Come on, just give me your hand. I’ll pull you back over.
Rose: No, stay where you are! I mean it! I’ll let go!
Jack: [He approaches slowly, gesturing to his cigarette to show that he is approaching merely to throw it over the side into the ocean] No, you won’t.
Rose: What do you mean, ‘No, I won’t’? Don’t presume to tell me what I will and will not do, you don’t know me!
Jack: Well, you woulda done it already.
Rose: You’re distracting me! Go away!
Jack: I can’t. I’m involved now. You let go, and I’m, I’m ‘onna have to jump in there after you.
Rose: Don’t be absurd. You’d be killed!
Jack: I’m a good swimmer.
Rose: The fall alone would kill you.
Jack: It would hurt. I’m not saying it wouldn’t. Tell you the truth, I’m a lot more concerned about that water being so cold. [pause. She looks down at the water. Jack is slowly removing his boots]
Rose: How cold?
Jack: Freezing. Maybe a couple degrees over. You ever, uh, you ever been to Wisconsin?
Jack: Well, they have some of the coldest winters around. I grew up there, near Chippewa Falls. I remember when I was a kid, me and my father, we went ice fishing out on Lake Wissota. Ice fishing is, you know, where you…
Rose: I know what ice fishing is!
Jack: Sorry. You just seem like, you know, kind of an indoor girl. Anyway, I, uh, I fell through some thin ice; and I’m telling you, water that cold, like right down there… [He gestures with his chin down toward the Atlantic Ocean]
Jack: … it hits you like a thousand knives stabbing you all over your body. You can’t breathe. You can’t think. At least, not about anything but the pain. Which is why I’m not looking forward to jumping in there after you. [They exchange glances] Like I said, I don’t have a choice. I guess I’m kinda hoping you’ll come back over the railing, an’ get me off the hook here.
Rose: You’re crazy.
Jack: That’s what everybody says but, with all due respect, Miss, I’m not the one hanging off the back of a ship here. Come on. C’mon, give me your hand. You don’t want to do this. [She reaches her hand back, he reaches his forward, and he helps her back onto the deck]
Jack: Whew! I’m Jack Dawson.
Rose: Rose De Witt Bukater.
Jack: I’m gonna have to get you to write that one down.”— Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Jack: Wait! We’re passengers! We’re passengers! [flushed and panting, Jack waves the tickets as he and Fabrizio run up the ramp to the 3rd class gangway entrance]
6th Officer Moody: [looks at the tickets as Jack and Fabrizio reach the end of the ramp] Have you been through the inspection queue?
Jack: [lying] Of course! Anyway, we don’t have lice, we’re Americans. [motions the tickets back and forth between himself and Fabrizio] Both of us.
6th Officer Moody: [nods] Right. Come aboard.” — Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “[Jack and Rose are cuddling in the back seat of the car]
Jack: [Implying they’re about to have sexual intercourse] Are you nervous?
Rose: No. [He smiles at her; their fingers intertwining. Rose gently takes Jack’s hand and kisses one of his fingers three times. She looks up at him and is silent for a second] Put your hands on me, Jack. [He kisses her and she lies down in the seat, with him on top of her]” Jack Dawson, Titanic
- “Rose: [She and Jack have just made love in the backseat of the car. He is exhausted and breathing heavily. She puts her hand to his face and caresses it] You’re trembling.
Jack: [Panting] Don’t worry. I’ll be all right.
[He smiles, leans toward Rose and kisses her. They look at each other, and Rose brings Jack’s head down to her level; finally kissing his temple. As she holds him, he gently lays down on her chest. She strokes his hair and face as he continues to catch his breath]” Jack Dawson, Titanic