By Joanne Elliott
Romantic getaways are the ideal opportunity to create or renew that spark with your loved one. Whether it’s a mini break, a long holiday, a wedding or a honeymoon there are literally thousands of great ideas to make your time away together really special.
Creating these memorable moments is a very personal choice and the ideal romantic break away will differ from couple to couple. When you are planning your romantic getaway the best place to start is to think about the things that you like to do together. Is it something that you used to do together back when you first met, something you haven’t had the time for recently, or even something entirely new that you’ve both always wanted to try?
A romantic getaway is a form of adventure. It is a form of adventure that you can share with your lover on a real personal and emotional level – that’s why it’s such a valuable part of being in a loving relationship. As we all know adventures can take many forms. It doesn’t have to be sky diving off a cliff (unless that’s on your list of ‘stuff I ought to do before I die’ of course!). Your ideal romantic break may involve exploring new activities or cultures, or maybe it’s more along the lines of relaxing and luxuriating. Either way there are many different options that you can choose from. Here are some ideas to start you off…
Relaxing and luxuriating
Everybody likes to be pampered. Why not try some sort of activity together like a health day at a spa. Many spas include package deals that include fabulous relaxation treatments including massage and sauna sessions. Think chilled champagne and steam. This may well be the perfect romantic break option for a stressed, overworked couple.
If you and your partner are more of an “energetic” sort of couple then perhaps an activity related break would be the ideal romantic getaway. First you could think about the type of scenery you love the best. Is it the mountains? The beach? The snow? The water? Why not try a new sport or hobby together. Some good suggestions include sailing, skiing, hiking, snorkelling, horse riding, or mountain biking. There are many great companies that specialise in these special events and often cater for beginners. A good tip is to find a reputable organisation that provides the specialised equipment necessary for the chosen activity in with the package deal.
It might be a good idea to look into travel insurance if planning any sporting activities.
Traditionally, popular romantic getaway destinations include places like Italy and Paris. But now there are hundreds of travel companies and independent hotels that specifically offer romantic getaways all over the world. Is there a country that you and your lover have always wanted to visit, and haven’t yet been? Then a trip to the travel agents’ may be long overdue!
Remember that you don’t always have to travel miles to enjoy seeing new things with your lover. In fact going to visit new places is a vacation within itself. This is especially good to remember if you have limited time or money for your romantic getaway. For example you could visit a new town you’ve never been to before. And keep in mind that sightseeing doesn’t necessarily have to be a strenuous activity. See the attractions together, wander around the town centre, visit a museum, go to the theatre, sample the local food and wine together… the list of possibilities is endless!
- Stay in a castle in Europe. A very romantic indulgence!
- Atlantis Resort, Paradise Island, Bahamas. Be pampered like royalty and the romantic passion will keep going …
- Switzerland is one of the top romantic getaways for honeymoon makers.
- Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Bora Bora features a spectacular crystal blue lagoon, white sand beaches and grandiose waterways …
- Egypt is both romantic and mysterious. Check out the pyramids and learn about the mystical romances of the Egyptian rulers.
- Seychelles – A cluster of islands in the Indian Ocean which look like paradise. It is one of the most romantic places to go with your loved one.
- Hawaii is one of the most traveled destinations for romantic island getaways. Hawaii is in fact America’s No. 1 travel romance destination.
- Aruba is hurricane-free year round and the beaches and hotels of Aruba welcome those who travel for romance.
- Aspen, Colorado. Aspen is a sensual, intimate, and romantic getaway for any couple.
- Tahiti is a once-in-a-lifetime romantic travel destination.